19 March, 2018
This easy mayonnaise recipe is quick to do and can be done with stuff you probably already have in your pantry and fridge! I really seek to always know what’s in the food I eat and when I find easy make-from-scratch options, I’ll always choose to make instead. With the price of food here in the northeast, this mayonnaise is a lot less costly than the store bought stuff and can be easily tweaked with your own flavors or ingredients. It’s also a great start to other sauces, like this ranch recipe!
Some people ask if they can use olive oil or other oils, but I would recommend using high-heat neutral tasting oils like canola, corn or safflower. Olive oil has a strong flavor that would lend itself better to Aioli than traditional mayonnaise.
- Mixing Bowl
- Alternative: Immersion Blender
- Egg Yolk, 1
- Salt, 1/2 Teaspoon
- Yellow Mustard, 1 teaspoon
- White Sugar, 1/4 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice, 1/2 teaspoon
- White Vinegar, 1 Tablespoon
- Corn or Canola Oil, 1 cup
Combine all but the oil and half of the lemon juice in the mixing bowl by constantly whisking, next very slowly stream the oil into the mix until it combines and starts to thicken (emulsifies) add the rest of the lemon juice while still whisking, serve immediately. Makes one and a half cups of mayonnaise Keeps well in fridge up to 2 weeks.
* Alternatively, if you have a blender you can follow the same procedure by keep the speed on the lowest setting and drizzling the oil slowly. Stop blending once you see the desired thickness and avoid blending the mayonnaise too long to avoid the mix from turning bitter.